SWOVA Community Development and Research Society has worked for more than two decades to address discrimination/violence based on gender, race, sexual orientation, age, and ability.
We envision inclusive and gender-equitable communities living violence-free.
SWOVA fosters healthy relationships in order to promote communities free of violence, bullying, discrimination, assault and abuse. We do this by delivering innovative, evidence based social emotional educational programs for children, youth and adults and inspiring and training others to deliver our programs.
SWOVA is looking for experienced male adult facilitators to deliver an after-school program for boys in Grades 8 to 10. The program will run weekly on Tuesdays from 4:00-6:00, September through May. The adaptive and engaging program will run outdoors, rain or shine. Youth are encouraged to participate fully in mind, body, and environment.
Purpose of the Program
- foster connections between Grade 8 to 10 boys, cis, trans, non-binary inclusive
- use challenge and perseverance as tools to develop confidence and belief in self
- build empathy as a foundation for self-awareness, care for others and service towards community
- introduce regular mentors from the community who share skills, opportunity and awareness, as a tool to build self-worth, connection, and empowerment
This part-time employment contract will start August 24, 2020. Time expectations are for prep, delivery, and ongoing evaluation. While the desire is to run a 10-month program, all current program terms are dependent on COVID developments over the year. Position and hours may change accordingly.
- encourage, lead, facilitate, and supervise the meaningful participation of youth and ensure that the program environment is interactive, respectful, fair, and welcoming
- plan, promote, publicize the program.
- ensure maintenance of all forms and statistics including consent and attendance numbers
- transport youth as appropriate. Class 4 license may be required
- in conjunction with the Executive Director, engage in a developmental evaluation process to assess the impact of the program on the participants (did the program result in the intended knowledge, attitudes or skills)
- work in conjunction with Executive Director, to build and maintain positive relationships with SD # 64 representatives, as required
- report to ED and attend meetings as requested
- writing of monthly reports
- support parent and school engagement and education around the Program
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- a Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector query will be required
- valid First Aid/CPR certification
- a strong understanding of the developmental needs of boys in Grades 8-10
- resourceful, creative, fun, and engaging approach to program development
- ability to engage in activities that require sport or physical activity
- a passion and commitment towards growing social emotional intelligence
- willingness to develop skills around safe sharing and respectful listening
- communicates clearly and effectively
- possesses strong organizational skills
- exhibits excellent interpersonal skills
- experience building professional relationships
- demonstrates strong leadership skills
- is capable of thinking creatively and analytically
- manages time efficiently
- works well with a variety of different individuals
- possesses solid problem-solving skills
- strong and clear boundaries in working with youth
- exhibits knowledge of organization mission and goals
- Degree in education or 4 years of related experience working with youth
How to Apply
The following pieces must be presented as an application:
- Resume and cover letter
- List of 3 references
Before being accepted into the program, all candidates must go through an screening and assessment process to include a Vulnerable Sector Scan and a minimum of three satisfactory references. There will then be an interview. Before acceptance, candidates must attend a group training session.
Please submit application to email@example.com no later than Tuesday, August 4, 2020, 4:00 pm PST
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.